Tuesday, March 28, 2006

shiiiiit

So my 22 year old sister has a date tomorrow night.

With a 41 year old.

WTF????


"Oh," she says, "he's good friends with Scott [also in his 20s]."

"Um," I say, "... what is a 41 year old doing hanging out with 20 year olds?"

She instantly gets defensive. "He's a good guy!"

"I don't doubt that." I reply, "That has nothing to do with the fact that he's basically twenty years older than you. I mean, what is he looking for in a 22 year old?"

Still defensive. "He thinks I'm funny."

"[Sister], just know that there are serious differences in the maturity levels of a man in his 40s and a 22 year old girl."

Still defensive.


I'm really worried for her. Just today we were talking about how all of her friends have gotten married and she feels like she's never going to get married. It makes me want to scream at her, scream that she's 22. That just because we're in fucking Provo doesn't mean she's over the hill at 22. I'm worried that she's going to settle. Settle on this fucking perv who has absolutely no business chasing 22 year old ass. Settle because he's well off and she's spoiled. Settle because she's desperate to get married. The worst part is that no one can say anything to her about it because she gets so damned defensive.

I feel sick.

5 Comments:

Anonymous cheechako said...

Well.

For what it's worth, I dated a 40-year-old when I was 21, and I survived.

Of course, I still count it among the worst experiences of my life, so I'm not saying it will be just fine...but you never know.

She's a grown-up now (officially, anyway) and the best you can do is make your opinion very clear and then let her make her own decisions.

(I think?)

7:38 AM  
Blogger pengalin said...

Very true. And if they actually start having a relationship, I can make my opinion very clear to him as well.

"So tell me exactly what business you have going after a 22 year old?"

I can see the fallout now.

3:06 PM  
Anonymous cheechako said...

Tell her she's free to call me any time if she wants to talk to someone who's been there...

7:58 PM  
Blogger pengalin said...

I will definitely let her know that she can talk to you if she actually begins something with this guy. Thanks. :)

8:19 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

She sounds like my pigheaded brother, who doesn't listen to anything reasonable from family because he always knows better.

Let her learn the hardway, which is a hard thing to do, but sometimes the only thing you can do.

If 22 and not married is considered over the hill, what am I at 31? A relic?? Hmph! I'm glad I put off getting married. I find immense disgust over people who think you HAVE to be married and squirting out kids before you're 21.

4:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home