Monday, October 31, 2005

Let me preface this by saying: this is going to be a long post.

Well, I don't want to say it, but I'll just go out there on a limb and say it.


I hate living with my sister.

She has treated me like shit most of her life, and prior to my 20th birthday, I deserved not all, but some of it. No matter how much I've changed, no matter what kind thing I do for her, even OPENING UP MY OWN HOME TO HELP HER OUT IN HER TIME OF NEED, I will always be the horrible, opressive sister who is keeping her from having a good time.

Her definition of having a good time? Taking over our house. It's a 3 bedroom house. She is currently occupying 2 bedrooms with all of her assorted shit. And then she has the GALL to complain to me that she's not getting her fair THIRD of the apartment.

Uh, excuse me? When did this become something other than a YOU-ARE-A-GUEST-IN-MY-FUCKING-HOME situation???

This is all very typical sister behavior. She was indulged too much as a child and now, as a result, thinks that she is owed everything and anything, and that the world loves to pick on her. Her favorite activity is whining, with a close second of being incredibly defensive. Every time I try to approach her with a concern, she dissolves into histrionics- yelling, screaming, stomping off in a huff.

Normally I wouldn't deal with a person like this, because actions like that are bullshit. Her entire agenda is YOU WILL DO IT MY WAY OR I WILL FREAK OUT!!!!! There is no such thing as compromise in her brain. To her, compromising is akin to losing. She knows if she can just freak out long enough, she'll get her way. And normally, I would tell a person like this to fuck off, fuck you very much.

But blood is thicker than water, and I can't just shed my sister and get a new one. I wish that I could, and that's not something I've told very many people.


Anyhow, I could go on and on about the things that my sister has done to me that piss me off, but I'll stop with this one:

She seems to think that she can treat my husband like she treats me- with disrespect and with attitude.

That is where I lay down the law. My husband is NOT just another member of my old family. He is MY FAMILY. He is my HUSBAND. And I will be damned before I stand by and see her treat him like he's nothing.

So I told her if she did it again I'd kick her out. Her response to that? "I have a right to be snippy to anyone when I'm having a bad day!!!" Excuse me? You have a right to berate other people because YOU'RE feeling shitty? I don't think so.

So there it is. It's been two weeks, and she's already used up two strikes. I don't know if there's going to be a third. We'll see. Hopefully I don't have to post one day something along the lines of "kicked my sister out".

3 Comments:

Blogger Zannah said...

This is only slightly unrelated, but I love the relationship you have with the Husband, and not that you need the affirmation, but you're definitely doing the right thing.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I would kick her out, but then again, I'm an asshole. I would again emphasize that it was my house, and she was a guest...and if she could not adhere to common sense and good manners, she should find another place to live.

Tough love sucks, but sometimes, necessary.

Good luck!

1:43 PM  
Blogger pengalin said...

Zannah- thank you so much, that really means alot to me.

I slammed down the rules pretty hard on her, and tonight she apologized for the conflict. I'm sure she'll explode at me again at some point, but I'm also sure that she's figured out how it works with me and my husband.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home